In a change of pace from my regular subject matter, I thought I'd give a little insight to my recent investment in blockchain technology and why I am now doubling down on investments that only feature smart contract implementing block chain protocols. To be specific: Ethereum.
The Ethereum protocol is set to dominate every other cryptocurrency on the market as of this writing for the following reasons:
1) It is based on a solid second generation blockchain protocol that implements secure contracts.
2) It is growing in adoption on a fast ramp that despite volatility is still ramping....full hockey stick.
3) The smart contracts rely on DAPPS (distributed applications) built on the block chain like token based ICO contracts and associated services, these have been gaining steady use for raising amazing amounts of money in short order to build block chain resident services. These services will anchor inherent value in the ethereum block chain which anchors stability in the protocol as a currency. As ICO based smart contracts predominate and service customers ....ethereum becomes cemented as THE cryptocurrency to use world wide.
4) Block chain tech. lacking SC's (like bitcoin) unfortunately have structural flaws that make them long term not competitive as value stores. They simply can't anchor value and won't earn the psychological trust of users....this will keep them ALWAYS more volatile than SC implementing block chain tech. like Ethereum...which means: Sell your non ethereum crypto currency now and use the money to buy more ethereum.
5) Unlike Bitcoin which suffered major attack (Mt. Gox) ethereum is ramping in adoption and exchange presence such that it is highly distributed and not as subject to manipulation (the flash crash of nearly 2 weeks ago was handled as designed by the system and as market cap continues to balloon such events will become increasingly less likely and less severe) as other crypto currencies with far smaller presence and high commensurate volatility.
6) Ethereum has already gained major support in the form of adoption by several national governments as a first class crypto citizen on their major exchanges (Singapore, South Korea , China) larger trade support means distributed impact surface for any future attacks or failures ....which means impervious response of the protocol on a whole to any single shock. Coupled with SC's being implemented across regions and domains this multiplies the anchoring of value in the protocol (which is sympathetic even between continents since the currency is NOT a nationally modulated my some federal reserve like entity, value store it is global).
7) The development process is being guided by a dedicated block chain evangelist in Vitalik Butirin, who is in the for the long haul and has ensured that the protocol moves in the right directions.
8) The Ethereum alliance of companies that have signed on to implement or investigate the technology continues to grow.
9) The protocol lacks the structural limitations that Bitcoin has such as slow transaction rates , limited theoretical scale and multiple versions inspiring consensus crisis.
:For these reasons I see little reason to continue holding on to my position in Litecoin, as a result I will let it peak to double my investment and then sell the entire position only to use the gains to buy more ethereum.